Managed by Wave Hub Limited working in partnership with District and County local authorities and the Exmoor National Park, the zone is located in the Bristol Channel from 3.5km to 10km offshore between Foreland Point and Hangman Point.
An area that has previously tested the world’s first tidal prototype, MCT’s Seaflow, this site offers:
- 35 sq km seabed area
- 20m water depth
- 2m/s tidal current
- Collaboration with Plymouth, Bristol and Exeter Universities
- A strong local supply chain
- Support from the Local Enterprise Partnership with marine renewable energy as a priority for EU Structural Funds
- Access to support from the South West Marine Energy Park
Support Services and Facilities
- South West England is a global leader in marine renewable energy
- Good local grid connectivity including substations at Lynton, Alcombe and Watchet
- Operations and maintenance facilities from Ilfracombe and Lynmouth
- Appledore and Yelland are equipped with quayside sites
- Local companies including Babcocks Marine (Appledore), Beran Instruments (Torrington), J&S Marine (Barnstaple), Keynvor Morlift Ltd (Appledore)
- Strong local partnerships supportive of development including Exmoor National Park as planning authority, and Town, District and County Councils and the North Devon AONB
- Access to national motorway (J27 of the M5 and hour) and rail networks
- Easy access to Exeter and Bristol airport
- Local fishing operators experienced in survey and offshore operations and maintenance
- Proposals for a specialised training and innovation facility at Petroc, the local Further Education College with strong links to Plymouth University
- Local consultancies specialising in offshore renewable survey work
The North Devon Demonstration Zone is part of the South West Marine Energy Park
The South West Marine Energy Park is a collaborative partnership between local and national government, Local Enterprise Partnerships, technology developers, academia and industry.
Its core objective is to create a positive business environment that will foster collaboration, attract investment and accelerate the commercial development of offshore renewable energy.