Located 16km offshore from Hayle on the north coast of Cornwall, at the eastern edge of the Atlantic Ocean, the Wave Hub site offers:
- Four cable connection points for testing offshore renewable energy technology
- Purpose built and commissioned, grid connected infrastructure with a 30MW export capacity, upgradable to 48MW
- Grid connection at either 11kV or 33kV
- Fully consented testing environment with a a 25 year seabed lease
- Water depths ranging from 51m - 57m
- One of the best wave resources in Europe
- Wave climate monitoring
- Full range of robust baseline data
- Proximity to a variety of ports and associated infrastructure
- Access to expert academic institutions specialising in offshore renewables
- Access to funding support
- A dedicated operational team
Live Wave Data
A wave measurement buoy is located within the Wave Hub Safety Zone providing detailed wave data for the site.
Live streamed wave data is presented on the Wave Hub live wave data page. Analysed wave data may be accessed through the Channel Coast Observatory website.
The buoy, installed 22 May 2015 is a Datawell Directional Waverider DWR-MkIII (shown below) and will be a long term fixture on site. Please see the Notice to Mariners for further navigation safety information relating to this buoy.
To report the wave data buoy as missing or damaged, please phone the Fugro GB Marine Duty Manager on: 07810 697357
More detailed information about deploying at Wave Hub and the nature of the onshore and offshore sites can be found here.